It has been an amazing month!
We kicked off August with 2 preseason matches, an away loss to South China and an imperious victory against Olympiakos at home. Showing decent performances in the preseason gave me a sense of relief. After the 2008 preseason win against Roma, many thought we would be the team to beat scoring 5 goals against a Champions League side. “2 points from 8 games” followed that hype, along with some “triffic” sound bites from Harry which we’ll never forget he’ll never let us forget.
Leading up to this season, our aim was and still is to secure a top 6 position. So we kicked it off with the following:
- Season opener: Liverpool at the Lane. 2-1. A unexpected easy win and 3 points in our column. Phew!
- Next match: Hull City away. 5-1. Another win? For sure some of us thought it wouldn’t be easy, but oh it was. Hat-trick easy.
- Back to London: West Ham away. 2-1. Not the greatest display of football but our side showed determination to come back and win it.
- Carling Cup: Doncaster away. Our reserve squad put on a cracking show. 5 goals from 5 different players. Impressive.
9 points and a cup win. Not too shabby. The month of August also witnessed other numerous developments:
- Bent transferred to Sunderland.
- A group of our younger players were loaned out.
- Sebastien Bassong signed from Newcastle.
- David Bentley crashes his Porsche while under the influence.
- Squad numbers assigned… no Bostock?
- Assou-Ekotto scores his first!
- Bassong scores on his debut!
- Palacios scores his first and Defoe gets a hat-trick! “Triffic stuff”.
- Assou-Ekotto signs new deal till 2013.
- Gomez injured and replaced by reliable Cudicini.
- Club placing of new shares, equivalent of £15 million for the new stadium.
- Top of the league after our first 3 matches… our best start since the early 60′s.
- Chimbo off to Blackburn.
- Spurs sign a strategic partnership with Inter of Brazil… “to develop players for both the Club and other European Leagues.”
- O’Hara signs new deal till 2013.
- Boateng moves to Portsmouth.
- O’Hara is loaned out to Portsmouth.
What could possibly happen next? I still think we’ll be signing a player or two before the transfer market closes. We had a French midfielder, Anin, try out and apparently Harry was pleased and requested a loan deal but his club have rejected it. We also have one of Palacios’ countrymen on trial at the center back role… still waiting to hear on that. Last but not least, it was rumored that we would be attempting to sign Sandro from Internacional (Brazil) as a back up or partner to Wilson. Don’t know if this is going to happen, especially since it it turned out we were in Brazil to sign the Inter partnership deal.
We could possibly cap of the month with 12 points to our name if we beat Birmingham tomorrow. Wonder what kind of media hype that would bring to the table? Hope we win to find out. COYS!!